Welcome...


I have a deep and abiding love for all the inhabitants of this planet (Earth) and view each one as my equal.

My message is not new, but with my passionate desire to help heal the planet, I join my voice to the many voices who have sung before and who are now singing to help us all experience "a whole new world".

Yes, I truly believe that LOVE IS THE ANSWER!



August 18, 2010

Expect a Miracle!

Yesterday we celebrated…although not exactly as “planned”.


Krystal’s 6th birthday is this Friday (August 20th). Last year we had had a simple cake and present with her older siblings when they came over for “Date Night”. She’s never really had a “typical” American Child’s party and I had not yet put much thought into this year’s special day.


Krystal had overcome a fear (which I may write more about in the future) of swimming while at Desert Oasis Water Park a couple weeks ago, by going down—dozens of times!—the big crazy slide. She had wanted to show her big brothers and sisters what she could now do while also enjoying it with them. We thought this would make a great “party” / “Date Night” for her and the others…until just a few days before when I did some investigating and found out that (since school had just begun) the water park was now closed during the week. Therefore, “Date Night” there (party or not) was out of the question.


I then thought we might have to have a simple party at the park close to our little condo. However, a few days ago, I decided (and Krystal eagerly agreed) to open up our Tuesday Date Night to include a few of her friends also. So, nearly last moment, I made some calls inviting a few close families and neighborhood friends for pizza and water balloons and games—at the park.


Several times in recent months Krystal has requested a helium balloon. I have told her that “on your birthday you could maybe get one”. Well, Monday, as I was checking out at the Dollar Store nearby (one of our favorites places to shop), she went with an employee to choose her favorite one. I knew it would be *pink* as that seems to be her constant “color of choice”. It was. As we were walking out to the car I looked at it closer: “Baby Shower” it said. I chuckled and explained (to her request) what it meant. Hmmm…technically she is my “baby” and…we are going to play water games…perhaps she’ll have a water balloon pop on her head! :-)


Half an hour before the party was to begin, we went again to the same dollar store for a couple table cloths for the picnic tables and another employee surprised us both by responding to her proud announcement of having a birthday party by pulling out his wallet and handing her a one dollar bill…AND the promise of a doll the next time we come in! We then went to “Little Caesar’s Pizza” to get 6 pizzas to (hopefully) be sufficient for all that might be coming.


The sky was beautiful. The weather report had said it’d be 106* for the high and partly cloudy…a beautiful day (at least for this desert in August). However, off in the distance were some white billowy clouds.


We set up at the park, my older children (most of them at least) arrived, along with some neighbors, and we began to eat the simple fare. It was beautiful, balmy weather, though the clouds were now covering the sky. A breeze came up…then a stronger one. Hmmm… We decided to brace the paper plates and other things from the wind…and quickly begin the games.


We did a relay race, carrying water (on sponges) from plastic buckets to two distant totes (taken from my closet—they are part of my simple “drawers”). Then we did a water balloon toss. (Tanner and I won—at least WE think we did!) As it was really starting to blow by now, we began a “War” with the couple hundred water balloons. I got SOAKED…perhaps a few others did, too. :-) FUN, but we realized…we had to get outta there… and quick! Alyssa and Danny (and their dog, Miley), the Sonntags, Beth and Jo came right as the storm was beginning to show its fury. We dispensed with candles and quickly cut the adorable *pink* kitty cake that Chelsea had made for Krystal.


Grabbing the flying plates, pizza boxes, and all the other paraphernalia that we had so well organized and (loosely) planned for this event…we scrambled for cover (amidst the parting of some of the guests) into our cars…headed to our tiny (just for two) condo. We jammed all the “stuff” and about 15 people into our little front room. I hastily changed into dry clothes and…we did a total “revamping”. We visited, Krystal opened some fun gifts, and we played “Chubby Bunny” (with large marshmallows). Two further hilarious games were the “Bag Game” and “Going on a Trip”. It was a GREAT…if unforeseen…way to shift gears and PARTY!


The house was a total wreck, but when everyone had gone, I began straightening up and helping Krystal prepare for bed. We attempted to gift the last piece of pizza to our kind neighbor who had allowed us to use his water spigot to fill water balloons. He declined, but then reached into his pocket and gave Krystal a TEN dollar bill! With the FIVE dollar bill she had received from Miss Jo in a card, the ONE dollar she had received from the store employee, that made $16.00 that she had received. This was by far the most money she had ever held in her hands. Prior to this, $2.00 in loose change had made her feel quite rich! (Yes, she has learned through experience that those particular pieces of paper and metal seem to be important in this world.)


The storm had long-since gone to sleep (indeed, it was only playing with us for about that one hour!) and we were preparing to go to our beds as well when suddenly…there was a knock at the door…it was Bryanne and Colton (who I had not seen since before he left for his mission and we had gone to Ecuador—2 years before). YEA! Okay, we’ll continue the party! :-)


Going to bed late, I woke up about 1:30 with pizza in the bowels…begging to be cleaned out. I quickly wrote down and did a search on the lyrics that were going through my mind. It turns out they were from a song by Nat King Cole entitled “Orange Colored Sky”:


I was walking along, minding my business,
When out of an orange-colored sky,
Flash! Bam! Alakazam!
Wonderful you came by.

I was humming a tune, drinking in sunshine,
When out of that orange-colored view
Flash! Bam! Alakazam!
I got a look at you.

One look and I yelled "Timber"
"Watch out for flying glass"
Cause the ceiling fell in and the bottom fell out,
I went into a spin and I started to shout,
"I've been hit, This is it, This is it!"

As often happens, I have never really listened to this song (and particularly its message) before having it appear in my subconscious experience. Interesting…! :-)


Going to my computer, I then found a totally-unexpected email from a friend, Ben (whom I may introduce at a later date) who has NEVER written me in the evening—much less the middle of the night! The final thought he shared was: “Expect a Miracle!”


This morning, I pondered on a most interesting experience I had before waking this morning... as we finished straightening our place, cleaning the floor and carpets and taking a large load of garbage to the shared trash bin. Hearing voices, we saw a lady and man in the little fenced-off area…he was inside the bin. Krystal immediately asked: “What are you doing in the garbage?” The woman proudly answered that they had just found a $50.00 bill, while just searching for some cans! They were obviously thrilled, so I congratulated them and wished them both a great rest-of-the-day as well. :-)


While showering this morning (as is so often the case), I received an “ah-ha”. I would (today!) continue (after nearly a year and a half sabbatical)… my blog. I would entitle this one “Expect a Miracle!” I believe that I will continue (daily? periodically?) to allow this blog to chronicle my life of “living in a sense of WONDER” where “Every day is Christmas” and where you never, ever know just what might fall out of the sky and "hit" you next!


So, here’s to “Baby Showers” during birthday celebrations; heightened celebrations during “natural disasters”; finding gifts in the strangest places; and new beginnings.


I’m so glad I’ve learned to flow with life and to…expect miracles!


P.S. Now, I wonder where a replacement for those two closet totes (that we used for the sponge game) will show up! :-) They never made it home amidst all the excitement!

No comments: