Welcome...


I have a deep and abiding love for all the inhabitants of this planet (Earth) and view each one as my equal.

My message is not new, but with my passionate desire to help heal the planet, I join my voice to the many voices who have sung before and who are now singing to help us all experience "a whole new world".

Yes, I truly believe that LOVE IS THE ANSWER!



August 29, 2010

Bumper Cars

Marti, a dear friend, took both Krystal and I a few days ago to “Amazing Jakes” to celebrate Krystal’s birthday. After eating, Krystal was free to explore many of the available attractions: a carousel, train, bumper cars, mini roller coaster, tea-cups, etc. As we each buckled in to a bumper car and she was instructed on how to “drive” hers … I pondered on the allegorical similarities of “bumper cars”… to life.

When in a bumper car, it is a given that we will be jolted and rammed –even if we do nothing our self to initiate it. Another driver will either-- through seeking a “thrill” of getting a reaction from us or simply because of logistics and wanting to get to “somewhere else” and we happen to be in the space between -- run right into our vehicle, potentially giving us quite a shaking.

I thought of how in life there appears to be so many obstacles. Most of those involve our relationships with another person. Even when we are seeking to live a serene and uncomplicated life, it may seem that we cannot escape the bumps and bruises provided by our interactions with others.

However, I have only witnessed people shrieking with pleasure, great smiles and laughter seeping from their faces while getting jolted during a bumper car experience. What has happened to cause so many in this “real” world to walk around with frowns and feelings, thoughts and actions of “victimhood”? Could it be, possibly, our expectations we have for the experience…and each other (the drivers of the “other vehicles”)? Could those expectations have arisen from the perspectives that we have adopted that have been “supposed to” serve us here in life…but perhaps are doing the opposite of bringing us lasting happiness?

I believe so.

I love to watch people. I guess you might call me a perennial “observer” of human nature. How do those two friends who just “bumped into” each other at the mall respond to each other? How do the drivers of those two cars who just “bumped into” each other react? What if one of them had maintained his peace, would that have affected the intensity of the other’s reaction? What about the lovers? When she gets excited over a new-found item, how does he respond? How does his response affect her, as displayed by her body language, words and voice? How do either of their responses change over time and repeated experiences together?

I love to watch movies for the same reason. Hmmm…. There are currently about seven billion different perspectives, coming from seven billion different people sharing this planet. Each one different. How do they each respond when in a certain experience? Without consciously being able to observe each one, at least the movies are allowing me the opportunity to see from another’s’ viewpoint and consider his or her reality for that brief window of time.

Another thing I enjoy is to stand in shallow moving water such as the ocean or a wave pool. Am I able to maintain my balance and stand strong as the water moves around me? What if I move out a little deeper? What if the wave has considerable strength and the current is powerful?

Can I stand (“be still!”) amidst chaos, bumps and confusion all around me—and experience a blessed life of JOY? Am I able to bring this same inner stillness as I move gracefully and while interacting with others in my day-to-day life? I happen to believe that each of my earthly neighbors (seven billion [roughly] in all) is helping me to remember that ability.

Though there are differences, we share so many similarities…in addition to this majestic planet we all call “home”. Although I’ve had my share of bumps and bruises initiated by others, I have to say that I have (overall) enjoyed the experience and am grateful for the lessons learned. In truth, I am now, generally, at the point of keeping my smile and enjoying the interactions I am both experiencing personally and observing of those around me.

What a fun game we are playing! Who wants to go another round? :-)

No comments: